Thursday, March 01, 2012

Bath Paint

My kids loved this activity.  Painting in the tub is wonderful!  They would have stayed in the bath all night had I let them.  Bath paint is really easy to make and clean up, too.  So I'm logging this one for one of those days when we're all going stir crazy in the house and don't want to leave.  It doesn't have to be night time to take a bath.

SUPPLIES:


  • Soap (I used baby soap-pictured above)

  • Cornstarch

  • Food coloring

  • Ice cube tray (or something similar to mix the different colors)


INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Mix equal parts of soap and cornstarch with a spoon.  (I mixed 1/4 cup soap, 1/4 cup cornstarch and it seemed like the perfect amount)

  2. Place a little bit of mixture in each compartment of the ice cube tray.

  3. Add 1-3 drops of food coloring per compartment depending on how vibrant you want the color.


In the bath, the children can use paint brushes, foam brushes, sponges or their fingers.  It was super easy to clean up, but be careful.  Since there is so much soap in this mixture, it makes the bath really soap and slippery.

In case you're wondering, food coloring did not stain my bathtub.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

won't the food coloring stain the tub?

Deb said...

It didn't stain our tub. I tested it before I let them go all out with the bath paint.

Marta said...

I tried to make some bathtub paint by mixing food coloring with shaving creme and it stained my toddler's hands. Will this stain our hands?

deb said...

This didn't stain my children's hands. Maybe it has something to do with the soap in the mixture...?

Judy said...

Does this keep well? My son loves bath paint and it would be nice to make a batch to use on a regular basis, not just a one day deal. Your thoughts?

Deb said...

Good question, Judy! I would think it would store well, but I've never tried.

Tanya Conley said...

Stain did not completely come out of grout. Will see if I can bleach it out. Any suggestions?