Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Redesign: Jennifer's Living Room

Remember Jennifer's Living Room?  Well I'm back today with a redesign for the space.  It's a great and spacious living room and Jennifer has a great start.  Here is a breakdown of the goodies:

Jennifer Living Room





  1. Jennifer likes the color of the walls so good news- she can keep her paint supplies in the closet.  I am building upon what it there and pulling in white, a golden yellow, and a mocha brown.  It's going to be a warm and inviting room that everyone is going to want to hang out in.


  2. There is an electrical cap in the center of the room.  Since there is a struggle with light after the morning hours, I'm recommending this beautiful light fixture.  It will brighten up any space and it will be a great accent to the room.


  3. The fireplace is ready for a great piece to bring out attention to it.  I love this mirror.  It has a great yellow tone and will tie into the room perfectly.  It is also a decent size so it will be perfect in scale above the fireplace and better yet, it's on sale!


  4. Jennifer really wanted to change the window treatments in the room.  However, I am keeping them pretty similar.  And here is the reason why:  I am using colorful accents throughout the entire room and I want the window to feel light and airy.  To bring in as much light as possible.  A simple white sheer does the trick just nicely.  I would buy 9' treatments like these and hang them above the window.  This will maximize your ceiling height.  I would also add the same treatments to the other windows.  Jennifer also mentioned that she had some white wooden blinds handy and I would suggest replacing the current ones with these- again, to bring in as much light as possible.


  5. When you are standing, looking at the entertainment armoire, I would hang this on the right side. Center it between the end of the armoire and the end of the loveseat.  Underneath this, place the circular side table that you have on hand.  You can dress it up with a vase, and a couple trinkets on top.  I would take out the dresser type accent that you have when coming directly down the stairs.  This will help simplify the space and make it feel more open.


  6. Above the sofa, I would use this fabric to make your own artwork.  You can buy ready made frames at any art supply store (I would make the art piece 3.5-4' x 2.5-3').  You can pull the fabric and staple it on the back.  It's an easy way to do an art piece, and for a good price too.  {Stay posted for a great step by step tutorial on this}


  7. I would add this 6x9 rug to help tie the space together.  It's a great neutral piece and a wonderful price as well!  I would replace your coffee table with this circular one.  This will help make the space more inviting and open.


  8. Jennifer happens to have a couple wing back chairs on hand and they are definitely worth using in the room.  I suggest using this fabric to reupholster them and getting great accent pillows like this, this and this to use throughout the room.  I would place these chairs on each side of the fireplace.  This will create balance in the room and also make it appear as the smaller windows by the fireplace are taller than they actually are.


  9. To further create balance in the room, I would suggest getting some plants to place on the sides of the chairs.  A taller plant like a Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus Lyrata)would be perfect.  I would place the toy chest behind the chair on the right of the fireplace (if you are standing looking at it).  I know this isn't the most convenient for the children, but for the purposes of selling your house, I would try to make the space appear as clutter free as possible.


Here is a space layout of the space so you can get a better picture of what it will look like:


Jennifer's Living Room



A couple other side notes.  I would leave the back console table where you have it (or replace it with the dresser if you need the extra storage).  I really think the layout you have is perfect for the room- it's not quite big enough to have a seperate seating room without replacing major furniture pieces.  I hope this helps you Jennifer and we will be excited to see the final after picture.

deb_sig

Do you need help redesigning your space?  Click here to get started!

No comments: