Monday, May 21, 2012

DIY Wheat Grass



I just cleaned out my mud room last week and do you know what I had in there?  Empty soup cans, empty milk cartons, empty boxes.  Empty everything.  I realized I have a problem in saving empty food packaging.  But they sure come in handy when I want to do something fun and cheap with the boys.  I forced myself to throw everything away.  Except for these soup cans because I had plans for them.  The boys helped me plant a little wheat grass and a week later, they looked like this.  They are so simple, yet they brighten my day.

If you're looking to plant your own wheat grass, this is what we did:

SUPPLIES:


  • Wheat grass (we purchased hard red winter wheat from the bulk bins at an all natural food store)

  • Potting soil

  • Container


INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Fill your container 3/4 of the way with potting soil.

  2. Generously sprinkle the wheat grass seed over the soil (you could barely see any soil by the time we were done).

  3. Add more soil so you have about an 1/2 inch left on top of the container.

  4. Water generously and place in a sunny spot.

  5. Water generously for the first two days.  Then water a little bit each day.  You will see sprouting in just a couple days.


If you're looking to brighten someone else's day, these are perfect.  Just tie a little ribbon around the soup can and you're good to go!

No comments: