Thursday, February 24, 2011

Second Lampshade = Success!

You may remember my lampshade fail from a little while ago.  This weekend I tried it again, with some fabric instead of ribbon, and I LOVE how it turned out!



All you'll need is 1 yard of fabric , some super stiff interfacing, and coordinating 1/4" ribbon.  (I used a heavy weight fusible Pellon for my interfacing.)



Cut a piece of the interfacing in the exact dimensions that you'd like you're lampshade to be.  Then cut your fabric the same width as your piece, but make it 1" longer so it'll overlap the interfacing by 1/2" on either side.  Iron on the fabric to your interfacing.  I then top stitched around both the top and bottom to make sure the fabric was nice and secure.  (You can see this in the top picture.)



After you've attached the fabric to the interfacing, wrap the  edges around the metal frame and use a hot glue gun to secure it.  If you needed to piece your fabric together like I did you'll have to hide your seams.  I used a narrow satin ribbon to conceal my seams.



A couple of things to remember when choosing your fabric:

*The fabric looks much different with a light shining through it.  Hold up a test piece to a light bulb to see how it will look with the light behind it.  Make sure you still like how it looks!

*Check to make sure there are no stray threads that get caught between the interfacing and fabric.  They will show up through the finished lampshade when lit.

Now it's time for me to move onto the next project: a fake wall to conceal some very stuffed bookcases!

No comments: