Thursday, June 25, 2009

Slipcover Dilemma

One of our readers Christy wrote us with the following dilemma:

"My couches are nasty but not nasty enough to get rid of--especially with my kids!  I'd like to have some slipcovers that I can wash but I'm overwhelmed by what is available.  I can handle something DIY but I want them to be snug and not look like, well, slipcovers.  Am I asking for the impossible here?  What do you think?"

Christy is right, there are lots of slipcovers out there that scream "I'm a slipcover!"  The main reason they look like this is due to the fact that sofas come in many sizes, shapes, and styles and the slipcover manufacturer must make their slipcovers to fit as many sofas as possible.  This tends to have features like bunched fabric, extra fabric, or skirts that are too long or too short.  (Good thing apparel manufacturers don't try to do the same thing!)

Christy, good news is, if you know your way around a sewing machine you can essentially make your own pattern with a little effort.  I just finished helping one of my clients do the exact same thing.  While I didn't sew them myself I worked with my workroom to make sure they were fitted, and not more of the drape and tie type of slipcover.  I watched her very carefully during the process so I could make my own later, and share with you how it's done.

Things you'll need to make the pattern:

1 bolt muslin fabric

Lots of pins

Pinking Shears

You'll want to start off with the bolt of muslin.  (Sometimes I'll go straight to working on the pattern with the final fabric to be used, but since upholstery fabric can get expensive, and, depending on the design of your sofa you'll need 10-15 yards of fabric we'll use inexpensive muslin to create the pattern and then cut out the final pieces with your fabric.)

If your cushions are removable, go ahead and remove them so you have the basic shape of your sofa.  Lay a large piece of fabric down on the sofa seat.  (It's called the deck without the cushions there.)  Cut out the exact shape leaving 1/2" extra fabric around all the edges.  Continue to cut the pieces out by draping the fabric, trimming, and then pin together.  You're essentially putting the pattern together right there on your sofa.  If you're having trouble figuring out where to cut the pieces and make seams, just look at how your current sofa is upholstered, and anywhere there's a seam, you know that you will also need a seam there.

After you've got the sofa pattern completed, make separate templates using your cushions.  If the seat cushions are all the same size, just do one template and use it for all of them.  Do the same for the back cushions.

When you've got your pattern made you're practically there!  Be sure to prewash the upholstery fabric you're using first.  We wouldn't want to sew the entire slipcover, and then have it shrink on us!!

Remove all the pins from your pieced pattern (be sure you number or label them to keep then straight!) and lay them out on your final fabric.  Cut the pieces out and sew together.  Remember to match patterns if your upholstery fabric has a pattern to it.  If you're using a suede or other fabric with nap, keep that in mind as you cut out the pieces too.  (For good instructions on the order in which to sew everything see here.)

Sew your cushion covers and place on your sofa!  You just made a custom fitted slipcover!!

Be sure you keep your muslin pieces so you can sew different slipcovers later!

erin_sig

1 comment:

Christy said...

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to try this!!!