Monday, March 05, 2012

Date Night is Important!


|Image circa 1997 when Casey & I were dating-- check out those sideburns!|


Do you have date nights often?  I was reminded this weekend of how important date night truly is for couples.  Casey and I went on a date Friday night and had an absolute blast.  I'm afraid to admit it, but the last time we went out was probably 3 months ago.  And that was to a company Christmas party so there wasn't a ton of one-on-one time.

During our date, there was a lot of talking, laughing and fun.  We probably had more conversations than we have in a month without interruptions.  We were able to talk about how each of us were doing, and about what each child needs.  It was therapeutic and rejuvenating.  I woke up on Saturday and probably put Betty Crocker to shame.  'Cause you know she was a good mother.  I was patient and giggling with my kids like there was no tomorrow.  I needed that connection and talking.  I didn't realize how much I've missed it.

For those of you like me who don't have family near by (or maybe you do, but they aren't able to help), here's a couple ways to make date night happen:

  • Trade with friends- BUDGET FRIENDLY - We trade with friends so they can go out one night while we watch the kids and vice versa.  It's win/win!

  • Babysitting Coop- BUDGET FRIENDLY - we've never done this, but we've had friends that get a group of couples together and every Friday night they trade off which 2 couples watch all the kids.  So say you have 8 couples, rotate every Friday night for the location and couples that watch while the other 6 six couples go out.

  • Care.com- we've found excellent people to watch our children.  You can put up an ad, interview them and agree upon a rate that works for both of you.


How often are you able to go out on dates?  How do you find a great and dependable babysitter?

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Girl, you are embarrassed that it's been 3 months?! We have 2, maybe 3 date nights a year! Your suggestions for babysitters are good. We really need to work on it. I have trust and control issues which prevents most outings. But honestly, you know what we really want, someone to take the children so we can have the house to ourselves!