Friday, August 28, 2009

Monday Redesign-Wendy's Living/Dining Room



Monday we're assisting Wendy with her  Living Room and Dining Room space.  Here is her current design:

Monday Redesign:Before



Here are Wendy's goals with the space above:

What are your favorite design store/home décor stores?  They can be brick and mortar stores or online stores.  The answers to this question help us determine your budget by seeing which places you like to shop.  These also tell us a little bit about your style. I am a huge fan of Anthropology and Crate and Barrel for ideas.  Then I utilize flea market/garage sale finds to try to replicate some of the items.  I like furniture redos (painting, simple upholstery, change knobs, etc.).  I have inherited many of the pieces in this room.  The sofa is the only furniture piece that I bought new.  Sometimes, this makes my rooms too hodgepodge/college aesthetic.  I am not married to any of the accessories in this room.  My favorite one is the flower painting because I think it is so fun.  I also sew and can make pillows or window treatments. I LOVE Amy Butler’s fabrics and would love to use them somehow.  The interview that you did with her was great.  I am a huge fan!  Her new rugs are so amazing.







What 3 words would you use to describe yourself and the feeling of the space you'd like? Warm, happy and colorful.




What is the most important thing you ’d like done with the space? I think the space layout needs attention.  Also, we like to have people over but there is never enough comfortable seating for all of them.  I have 2 kids who are 3 and 6 so although they are old enough to not pull things down, they still spill plenty of things on the floor/sofa so this is important to know.  Because the space is small everything must be very functional and flexible.



What are two of your favorite and least favorite colors? (Keep this particular space in mind, as we know favorite colors vary from space to space) I love bold colors.  We have lived with the dark green on the walls for 6 years now.  I still really like it but would be up for an update.  Also Red!  I love red and variations of it.  (This is probably why I like the green because anything red looks great with it.)  Not a huge fan of pastels.




What are the overall dimensions, including ceiling height (if applicable) of your space?
This room is an L- Shaped room with many doorways.  See attached drawing.  The ceilings are 9’.





Is there anything else you’d like us to include or consider in designing your space? We live in 1,000 SF so this is a very important room to all of us.  We eat, watch TV, hobby, play, entertain, relax, and just plain live here a lot.  I think there are some great opportunities for utilizing the space that we haven’t thought of. My husband is an avid guitar player.  Our solution to having guitar stands everywhere was to hang them on the wall.  I like this but would be open to changing the location or splitting them up if you thought we should for the layout to work.

Check back Monday for the redesign!

erin_sig

No comments: