Wednesday, December 07, 2011

THE Best Sugar Cookies

I think we finally found the perfect sugar cookie recipe.  Have I told you how much I love the internet?  I swear it's made me a better cook!  Just a quick google search for 'sugar cookies' led me here.  I put a lot of stock in the stars and comments recipes get, don't you?

We modified the recipe a little based on the comments and this is what we came up with (makes about 40 cookies):

INGREDIENTS:


  • 3/4 cup butter, softened

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 tsp vanilla

  • 2-1/2 cups flour

  • 1 tsp baking powder

  • 1/2 tsp salt


INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. In a large bowl, mix butter and sugars until smooth.  Mix in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.  Cover and place in refrigerator overnight (or freezer for an hour.

  2. Roll dough on powder sugar surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.  Cut out shapes with cookie cutters.  Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

  3. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 to 7 minutes.


A COOL TIP:

Sugar cookie dough is better to work with when cold.  We roll out the dough and cut out as many shapes as we can (hopefully enough to fill the cookie sheet).  While those are baking in the oven, I put the cookie dough in the freezer.  Once the cookies are cool enough to be placed on my cooling rack, I take the dough out of the freezer and do it all over again.

We didn't even get to frosting these cookies yet.  They are being gobbled up just as is!  Be sure to try one fresh out of the oven.  It's divine!

No comments: