Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mom 2.0 Summit Recap

60's hair!{Getting my hair done at the Mad Men Party-- picture by Christy Nelson}


Hello everyone!  I finally have my feet back on the ground after attending Mom 2.0 this past weekend.  It was a-maz-ing!  I've never been in a room with so many well dressed and smart women in my life.

You may remember us mentioning a little while back about how Mom 2.0 last year changed our lives.  Looking back, attending this conference change nearly everything about my life now.  For the better.  It made me realize what I really wanted to do and how I could make that happen.  It's been a whirlwind of a year with Fresh Nest Design starting and me helping other companies succeed online and announcing CraftyCon.  It's going to be another great year and Mom 2.0 didn't let me down this year.

Tool Box session at Mom 2.0{Gwen Bell, Me, Marie LeBaron speaking on a panel at Mom 2.0-- picture by Christy Nelson}


Mom 2.0 is really about discovering your passions, making them happen and doing it smart.  What are you good at?  What do you really want to do with your life?  Make it possible and make it happen.  Cause there's no time like the present.  Here are some of my favorite tidbits from this weekend:

  • Gretchen Rubin saying, "Knowledge plus challenge equals happiness."  Yes.  Yes, it does.

  • Heloise saying, "It's not who you go out with or where you go, but it's who you meet when you get there."

  • Laurie Smithwick saying, "If you don't think you can design yourself, you're probably right.  You should get a designer to help."  Amen.  That's exactly what we're here for.

  • Hearing from Dooce, Maggie Mason and Gabrielle Blair-- the mothers of blogging as we know it now.  They all agree that this is hard work and there's not just one way to do it.  They all encouraged us to do what we are passionate about.

  • Gwen Bell starting our panel session off with a little chair yoga.  "Put down your smart phones and close your laptops."  I was worried for her life when she said this.  Do you know how attached we all are to these?  But everyone played along and it turned out to be my favorite part of the conference.  She said "Make sure you are here in this space."  And I have modified this into my motto-- "I have arrived. "  I want to be sure that wherever I am, I am present.  I am there and I am listening.  So many time the digital age can get in the way of making things happen.  Thank you Gwen.

  • IMG_6596


    {Nintendo Yoga Lounge-- picture by Gabrielle Blair}



  • And speaking of yoga, I loved the Nintendo Wii Fit Plus lounge.  It was a great start to my Friday morning.

  • The Bloggess being crowned a czar by the Mayor of Martindale will be unforgettable.  Jenny said, "I never thought I'd be a czar so soon."


These are just a few highlights from the weekend.  And I of course loved spending time with friends, and meeting new ones along the way.  Thanks to Christy for being a great roommate and laughing with me until wee hours in the morning.


I also want to thank Homespacing {a division of Canvas Corp} for making it possible for me to attend the event.  Their Homespacing kits are affordable {$7.99} and so easy to use.  They have specialized kits for your children's bedroom, your bedroom, outdoor space, living room and they each come with pre-measured stickers with every piece of furniture you can imagine.  It makes planning your space so easy and in the long run can save you a lot of time and resources.



On the flight out, I played with one of the kits and designed my son's room in 15 minutes.  In the kit, you are given a ruler with graph paper and I easily drew my son's room and furnished in.  Now I just need to find the textures and pictures of the items I want to put in his space.  It's an incredible tool and they are offering all of our readers 20% off any of their goods by using the code MOM2.0 at checkout.  {Be sure to check out the leather bound tape measure and picture hanging tool kit}.

1 comment:

Design Mom said...

Loved seeing you and discussing CraftyCon. And my big kids were so excited about all the crafty supplies you sent home with me. Thank you!